The name of Dulcote has existed for at least one thousand years. The name appears in an Anglo-Saxon charter, dated May 1065 at Windsor, which transfers this land, along with other areas around Wells, from King Edward The Confessor to the Bishop of Wells. One possible meaning for the name of Dulcote is that it derives from Dultingcote, meaning "cottages/ shelters" by the River Doulting (former name of River Sheppey). However, another possibility employs the rules for deriving the meaning of place-names from ancient languages allowing us to suggest an alternative: dal meaning "valley" and cot meaning "shelters/ cottages". The spelling of Dulcote has been rather arbitrary from centuries of record-keepers. When researching this hamlet, look for the following variations: Dulcot, Dulcott, Dultingcot, Doultingcot and even Dulket.